Green – A Philosophy Engrained in Our Products
CPI Card Group was the first card manufacturer to use biodegradable material for plastic cards, and has since produced millions of biodegradable cards in the United States.
Biodegradable PVC was developed in 2004 and certified as a fully biodegradable and environmentally safe material in autumn 2005.
- It biodegrades in nine months to five years, and allows the biodegradation of all our manufactured plastics, including Whites, Clears, Colors, Fluorescents and Transparents.
- It performs within all standard card parameters and has a standard shelf life.
- CPI has produced ink adhesion, lamination, die cutting and embossing that all perform within the same parameters.
The finished card performs equal to cards manufactured on regular plastic as no biodegradation takes place unless the product is in a fertile environment, which can include compost, waterways or where other items are biodegrading. Microorganisms consume the plastic over a period of time with complete disintegration taking place.
Biodegradable wood key cards are one of the most visible green initiatives available to hotels today. By switching key cards to biodegradable wood, hotels can dramatically reduce their environmental impact while also enriching the soil with eco-friendly material.
- The wood used to create CPI’s wooden cards comes from forests that are managed for sustainability.
- When disposed of, the wooden card turns into non-toxic dirt that enriches the soil as it decomposes.
- CPI's wooden key cards are made of over 95% unaltered organic plant material and completely biodegrades.
Working closely with our PVC suppliers, CPI has developed PVC core sheets with a recycled content ranging from 25% to 100%. Like our biodegradable plastic, the finished card performs equal to cards manufactured on regular PVC. Ink adhesion, lamination, die cutting and embossing all perform within the same parameters. In other words, you get the same functionality, while doing what is right for the environment.